hat is a Slip and Fall Injury/Accident?
Our Ocean County fall injury lawyers understand that the term “slip and fall” is a legal term which generally refers to a situation when an individual slips and/or trips due to hazardous conditions on someone else’s property. Our experienced Monmouth County slip and fall attorneys recognize that often slips or trips result in a fall, consequentially injuring the victim.
These types of falls happen all too frequently and many victims do not realize that with the assistance of one of our Toms River attorneys they can file slip and fall lawsuits against the negligent party. These cases fall under the branch of law known as premises liability. Premises liability law determines what one will be entitled to when a person is injured on property that is owned or maintained by someone else and the owner/possessor of that property is held liable for the injury.
These cases frequently involve dangerous conditions and often result in serious personal injuries.
Your injuries will be compensated to reflect the monetary and non-monetary damages that you have suffered. These can include medical expenses (hospital, surgical, ambulance bills, etc.), rehabilitation expenses, lost income, reduction in your earning capacity, and physical and mental pain and suffering which are due to any injuries suffered.
There is no precise answer to this question as you will see below that slip and fall injuries can come in many shapes and forms. When a person slips, trips, and falls down due to the negligence of another individual or business and there are resulting injuries, a slip and fall injury has taken place.
A slip and fall accident can happen while slipping on the proverbial “banana peel”, spilled liquid, ice/snow and any other surface bedeviled by a slippery substance. An accident may occur due to tripping on a faulty sidewalk, traversing an awkward gradient change, becoming snagged on a guy-wire, falling over a negligently placed sign . . . the list goes on.
The fall that occurs in a legitimate slip and fall accident case must be due to the negligence of someone else. New Jersey Premises Liability law is written so that a property owner or possessor who is legally responsible for a residence, business or governmental property is legally liable for any of injuries that arise on the property due to negligence or faulty construction.
- Slippery, uneven and/or broken sidewalks, cobblestones, or pavement
- Failure to maintain and/or clear walkways in times of inclement weather
- Steeply sloping driveways
- Slippery floor surfaces or floor coverings
- Oil, grease, water, liquids, or food on the floor
- Uneven stairs or inadequate stair rails
- Hazardous store aisles
- Entrance/exit defects
- Carpet, rug, and mat placement or defect
- Walkway defects
- Construction area hazards, including falling debris
- Unsafe balconies and/or railings
- Poor lighting
- Herniated disc(s);
- Disk bulge;
- Disk protrusion;
- Degenerative disc disease;
- Rotator Cuff tear;
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI);
- Shoulder instability/dislocation;
- Knee ligament injuries (ACL; PCL; MCL; LCL);
- Knee dislocation;
- Fractures and the a multitude of other injuries may that may result.
- Arthroscopic and minimally-invasive surgery of the shoulder, elbow, knee, hip and ankle
- Knee ligament reconstruction and meniscal transplantation
- Cartilage restoration, OATs, Autogenous Chondrocyte Implantation and Allografts Osteotomies
- Arthroscopic rotator cuff reconstruction
- Arthroscopic Bankart reconstruction (capsulolabral repair of the shoulder)
- Arthroscopy of the knee, shoulder, hip, elbow, wrist and ankle
- Hip, knee and shoulder replacement
- Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction
- Ankle and mid-foot procedures
- Carpal tunnel surgery and wrist procedures
- Hand tendon repairs
- Open reduction, internal fixation of shoulder, elbow, wrist and ankle fractures
- Spinal procedures and joint injections
Our attorneys at Riviere Cresci & Singer LLC handle slip and fall accidents in Monmouth County, Ocean County, Middlesex County and Mercer County, and have personal injury experience and knowledge which allow us to relentlessly fight for our clients’ rights.
We use aggressive tactics, while remaining compassionate to our clients’ needs, to get you the compensation (monetary damages) you deserve!