How is the divorce process started?

If you are the spouse or partner initiating the divorce one of our attorneys will draft and file a legal document, called a complaint, with the court where the divorce will be heard. The complaint includes information such as the date of the marriage, children born of the marriage and the specific cause claimed as the basis for the divorce.

A copy of the complaint will be served on your spouse or partner by a process server, and he or she will then have a period of thirty-five days to answer the complaint. They will answer by admitting the allegations or denying the allegations. They may also file a legal document called a counter-claim, asking for a divorce based upon their own allegations and grounds, or they can simply ask the court to hear the financial issues.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *